I think the digital representation of the taxonomy is key for re-thinking assessment...We have lots of tools presented to us today, but often we think, "well, Jing/Diigo/Khan Academy/Prezi/Etc. is cool, but what GOOD is it?"
The verbs do not represent the SKILLS that are necessary, but rather the ways to ASSESS - we don't -teach- Prezi, we -assess- through Prezi - so if we want to assess how well students REMEMBER information, we have them look it up - if we want to assess how skilled they are at EVALUATING material, we have them participate in a blog or vlog.
So the tools and gizmos are not the material itself, but rather assessment methods - I think this is incredibly helpful when, with each unit I plan, I sit down and think about what the major assessments are going to be.
Comment
ReplyDeleteI think the digital representation of the taxonomy is key for re-thinking assessment...We have lots of tools presented to us today, but often we think, "well, Jing/Diigo/Khan Academy/Prezi/Etc. is cool, but what GOOD is it?"
ReplyDeleteThe verbs do not represent the SKILLS that are necessary, but rather the ways to ASSESS - we don't -teach- Prezi, we -assess- through Prezi - so if we want to assess how well students REMEMBER information, we have them look it up - if we want to assess how skilled they are at EVALUATING material, we have them participate in a blog or vlog.
So the tools and gizmos are not the material itself, but rather assessment methods - I think this is incredibly helpful when, with each unit I plan, I sit down and think about what the major assessments are going to be.