Thursday, July 14, 2011

No Teacher should be without a Personal Learning Network (PLN)

A PLN is simply a network that you create which connects you to individuals who have interests similar to yours and who can help you learn.  These could be other teachers, authors, and experts around the world who are willing to share their experiences, expertise, and resources.  As we develop our 1:1 program, establishing a PLN might be the single best thing you can do to become the innovative educator that this teaching model demands.     At both Ed-Tech conferences I attended this summer, PLNs were referenced constantly, especially in the form of  Twitter and Blogs. The following link is an excellent resource for getting started:
  5 Things You Can Do to Begin Developing Your Personal Learning Network


This is a 10-minute excerpt from a presentation on PLNs:
 "Why You Need a Personal Learning Network".


Sneak Peek: Personal Learning Networks from SimpleK12 on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. I think everyone should incorporate @MERLOT into their PLN - it is an amazing resource in its own right (I'll try to type up a description in a post soon), but they are aggressive Re-Tweeters of great material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I have gotten a ton of new resources as a result of expanding my PLN in just this short time span. Now my only issue is having the time to actually sit down and review some of these resources sufficiently to figure out ways that I might use them.

    ReplyDelete